High Country, NC Area Attractions
High Country in North Carolina, part of the Blue Ridge Mountain region, is an outdoor lover's paradise known for its stunning landscapes, recreational activities, and cultural attractions. Here are some top attractions to explore:
1. Blue Ridge Parkway: One of the most scenic drives in the United States, the Parkway offers breathtaking vistas, hiking trails, and picnic spots.
2. Grandfather Mountain: Home to the Mile High Swinging Bridge, this nature preserve has wildlife habitats, nature trails, and stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
3. Appalachian Ski Mountain: A popular destination for skiing, snowboarding, and ice skating. It's a great place for winter sports enthusiasts of all skill levels.
4. Linville Gorge and Falls: Often referred to as the "Grand Canyon of the East," Linville Gorge features stunning waterfalls and offers numerous hiking trails.
5. Tweetsie Railroad: A Wild West-themed park offering train rides, amusement rides, live shows, and events. It's a fun-filled destination for the whole family.
6. Moses H. Cone Memorial Park: This historical mansion turned craft center showcases work from the Southern Highland Craft Guild. Enjoy the park's trails on foot or on horseback.
7. Blowing Rock: An intriguing rock formation known for its strong upward winds. The charming town of the same name offers quaint shops, restaurants, and galleries.
8. Boone's Downtown Historic District: Full of historic charm, the district features boutique shops, galleries, and restaurants. The district is also close to Daniel Boone Park.
9. Horn in the West: A historic outdoor drama that recounts the American pioneers' struggles during the Revolutionary War. The site also hosts the Hickory Ridge Living History Museum.
10. Banner Elk Winery & Villa: Enjoy local wines in a serene setting. The winery also offers tours and tastings.
11. Mystery Hill: A unique family attraction offering a blend of science, fun, and adventure including a gravity vortex, gem mining, and a historic 1800s home tour.
12. Appalachian State University's Turchin Center for the Visual Arts: This dynamic gallery space features rotating exhibitions of contemporary art.
13. Watauga Lake: Located just north of the High Country, this gorgeous lake is great for boating, fishing, and swimming.
These attractions and more make the High Country an exciting region with a rich blend of outdoor adventure, history, and culture.